“Setting boundaries is a way of caring for myself. It doesn’t make me mean, selfish, or uncaring… I care about me, too.” – Christine Morgan
Boundaries help to define us as individuals and help us to set limits. They help us to understand where we need to draw the line in order to feel respected and valued in relationships.
When we start to feel uncomfortable or taken advantage of, we know our boundaries had been violated.
Some tips on how to set healthy boundaries:
• Work on self-awareness, self-respect, and learn to value yourself.
• Develop an attitude of self-responsibility. Learn to ask for what you want, and learn to say “no”.
• Set appropriate limits with others about what you can do and what you expect from them.
• Boundaries need to be specific, reasonable, enforceable, and logical.
• Communicate them clearly.
• Be firm, and remember you are not responsible for the other person’s response.
If you need advice or support, please contact:
– Dr Dick on www.men2men.co.za
– or Dr Delicious on www.womyn2womyn.co.za
– Get FREE face-to-face counselling at TEN81 in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272)
– or get FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (0860 688 688)