May is the international month against homophobia & transphobia. Here are tips on dealing with these kinds of incidents:
• Know your rights and the law.
• Seek help from people who have the authority to help address the issue.
• Get support from professionals and your community, family or friends.
• Rise above the insults. Try not to take them personally.
• Keep a cool head and mind.
• Try to avoid a direct confrontation.
• Accept yourself but realise that not everyone will.
• Remember, it’s not about you, it’s about them.
If you need advice or support, please contact:
– Dr Dick on www.men2men.co.za
– or Dr Delicious on www.womyn2womyn.co.za
– Get FREE face-to-face counselling at TEN81 in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272)
– or get FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (0860 688 688)