“You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” – Dan Millman
This month, TEN81 looks at tips on dealing with and learning to manage anxiety.• Move your body. Exercise is an important part of both physical and mental health.
• Pay attention to sleep. Enough hours of sleep and quality of sleep are equally important.
• Ease up on caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine, which is an “upper”, and alcohol, which is a “downer”, can make anxiety kick into overdrive.
• Schedule your worry time. Pick a time to think about your fears on purpose for about 30 minutes and what you can do about them. Don’t dwell on “what-ifs”. Then move on.
• Breathe deeply. It helps your mind and body relax, and sends messages to your brain that you are okay.
If you need advice or support, please contact:
– Dr Dick on www.men2men.co.za
– or Dr Delicious on www.womyn2womyn.co.za
– Get FREE face-to-face counselling at TEN81 in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272 / 066 190 5812)
– or get FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (012 430 3272 / 066 190 5812)