“Patience can’t be acquired overnight. It is just like building up a muscle. Every day you need to work on it.” – Eknath Easwaran
At this time of the year, people seem to become more impatient. Here are some helpful tips on how to practice becoming more patient:
• Don’t react, rather distract. Focus on something other than the brewing frustration.
• Reconnect with what put you in the situation. It is easier to deal with discomfort when you know it is for a good reason.
• Shift your perspectives. Find something good or interesting in the situation.
• Focus on what you can control.
• Learn to breathe deeply and slowly.
• Practice by making yourself wait.
• Practice gratitude.
• Find a ‘slow’ hobby (eg knitting, gardening, walking).
If you need advice or support, please contact:
– Dr Dick on www.men2men.co.za
– or Dr Delicious on www.womyn2womyn.co.za
– Get FREE face-to-face counselling at TEN81 in Pretoria (Book now on 012 430 3272 / 066 190 5812)
– or get FREE telephonic counselling nationwide (012 430 3272 / 066 190 5812)